- 2 cups cooked rice (preferably chilled)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, bell peppers, broccoli, etc.), diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten (optional for a non-vegan version)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until fragrant and lightly golden.
- If using eggs, push the onion and garlic mixture to the side of the skillet, creating a space in the center. Pour the beaten eggs into the center and scramble them until cooked through.
- Add the mixed vegetables to the skillet and stir-fry for a few minutes until they start to soften. You can adjust the cooking time depending on your preference for crunchiness.
- Add the chilled cooked rice to the skillet and mix well with the vegetables. Use a spatula to break up any clumps of rice and evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Drizzle soy sauce and sesame oil over the rice and vegetables. Stir-fry for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to blend together. Make sure the rice is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Be mindful of the saltiness of the soy sauce and adjust accordingly.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped green onions for a fresh burst of flavor and color.
- Serve the veggie stir-fried rice hot as a standalone dish or as a side to accompany your favorite Asian-inspired main course.
Note: This recipe is versatile, and you can customize it to your liking by adding protein such as tofu, shrimp, chicken, or beef. You can also incorporate additional seasonings or spices such as ginger, chili flakes, or oyster sauce to enhance the flavor. Get creative and make it your own!